Eating out does not have to mean eating unhealthily. Follow these tips and techniques to ensure that you enjoy your meal while staying healthy, happy and satisfied.
1) Select foods which are:
These cooking techniques use less fat in the food preparation and are generally lower in calories.
2) Drink water, diet soda, or unsweetened tea or coffee instead of regular soda or alcoholic beverages. This will save a lot of calories each day.
3) When choosing a soup, keep in mind that cream-based soups are higher in fat and calories than most other soups. Soup can serve as a great appetizer to a meal, or as an entree. Most soups are low in calories and will fill you up, so you eat less.
4) Order salad dressings and other sauces on the side. This way, you have control over how much or how little you add
5) When ordering grilled fish or vegetables, or even dosas ask that the food either be grilled without butter or oil, or prepared “light,” with little oil or butter. Ask for skin to be removed on chicken dishes & the fat to be trimmed from meat cuts.
6) When ordering pasta dishes, look for tomato-based sauces rather than cream-based sauces. Tomato-based sauces are much lower in fat and calories. In addition, the tomato sauce can count as a vegetable!
7) Order steamed vegetables as a side dish instead of starch or fried dishes.
8) Share a dessert with a friend. Half the dessert equals half the calories.
9) Share an appetizer. Same rule as above applies.
10) Stop eating when you are full — listen to the cues your body gives you.
11) Order sandwiches with mustard rather than mayonnaise or “special sauce.” Mustard adds flavor with virtually no calories.
12) Control serving sizes by asking for a small serving, sharing a dish, or take half of your meal home. The second half can serve as a second meal!
13) If you want to eat less, order an appetizer and a salad, as your meal.
14) If you are craving dessert, opt for something low-fat, like fresh berries or fruit.
15) Choose foods made with whole grains. Examples include whole-wheat bread and dishes made with brown rice.
16) Enjoy foods that are flavored with fresh herbs rather than fats such as oil and butter. Herbs add a unique flavor to any dish!